Thursday 7 January 2016

Coming out of the Comfort Zone

I have to admit, I have really struggled to get motivated following an indulgent Christmas and New Year.

During that weird week between Christmas and New Year, where you have no idea what day it is, it's nice to stay in your pyjamas and watch films, and eat one too many biscuits with your tea. I think it is good for you to take that break from the world of work and play. However, it's easy to slip out of your usual routine and those bad habits can creep back into your lifestyle, and they can be so hard to break.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the lovely turkey sandwiches and chocolates, but I made sure I kept myself active too. I made sure I went to the gym that week to try and stop me from slipping back to my old ways. I had a lot of fun with my gym friends, going to new classes to keep things interesting.

This week I was back to my usual early gym routine - the 6.30am class - and I really struggled to get out of bed. I didn't actually make it out of bed on Monday morning for the 7am spin class.

I do have a lot on my mind this week which has stopped me from getting a good sleep.  On Friday, I am embarking on a trip that is completely out of my comfort zone and a trip I would never have done back when I was less secure and confident.

Myself and three friends are going to India for the Dumball Rally, which will see us and over 100 other crazy people, drive from Chennai to Goa in just 8 days in a fleet of Hindustani Ambassador taxis!  It'll be gruelling and will be an eye opening experience but we have already raised nearly £3,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust! I wanted to do something memorable, rather than just lying on a beach for two weeks, to celebrate my 30th birthday.

I tend to get very anxious before doing anything new or going anywhere new, and this has definitely been the case this week!  Exercise has helped me feel more level but I have been comforting myself with chocolate and the odd glass of wine. I just hope the change of environment will bring me out of it.

If you would like to donate to support us on our trip across India, with all money going to Teemage Cancer Trust and Nepal Earthquake Appeal, please do so here: https://www.justgiving.com/dumball2016bloomingnora

Stay tuned for updates from India and wish us luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment