Thursday 3 September 2015

The Slippery Slope...

So after meeting my target of wearing a bikini for the very first time on holiday, I feel a little deflated.     Holidays at my second home in Portugal usually include a fair amount of indulgence, such as too much wine and beer along with chips with steak and pepper sauce... And my friend Marga's famous chocolate cake which you just cannot say no to. And I know, I was on holiday, I'm allowed to indulge but it is incredible to see how the body can get hooked on bad habits so easily.

Back home, I try and be good during the week and let go a little at the weekend. This means avoiding sugar, processed foods, caffeine, and white carbs. So after a week of giving my body what it use to survive on, my body was hooked again.

I went back to work feeling bloated, tired, spotty, and rather grumpy. I had caught a head cold on the plane too which made me even more grumpy. I didn't make it back to the gym until the Thursday so  it the longest I'd gone without going to the gym.

It was so difficult to get back into my routine. I had major headaches at work and it wasn't until I gave in and had a coffee, I realised my body was craving the caffeine hit I'd been giving it every morning on holiday.

My sugar addiction was also back, probably from the booze consumption and ice creams, and I was craving a sugar hit after my eating my lunch. This is the hardest thing for me to resist... That sweet fix after eating something savoury.

Four weeks on and I have to say I am still struggling to cut out the naughty habits that once upon a time led me to becoming very overweight and insecure. My tummy is still not as flat as it was pre-holiday and my energy levels are all over the place.

 My anxiety keeps making small comebacks but as soon as I hit the gym, my mind feels back on track but I haven't been able to get back into my gym routine... I had a very nasty injury on my friend's hen weekend (don't ask) so this has hindered me a lot over the past two weeks.

However, tonight I went to the gym and did a really good session, and for the first time my injury didn't cause me any problems. I also have a personal training session with Anna on Tuesday who continues to support me. She knows I've taken a little backwards step but I know she will help me to up my game now I'm feeling better.

My diet is much better this week, as soon as I'm back working out it makes me more conscious of how I'm fuelling myself and I'm less likely to want to put any crap down my neck!

I was feeling terribly anxious when I woke up this morning after a terrible nights sleep, thinking I was slipping back into my old ways but I feel like I have pulled myself out of it.

It's important to remember that we are only human after all and to give ourselves a break. As Anna said, it's very easy to slip back into old ways but so much harder to get back on track... So maybe it's best to keep that healthy balance in mind but enjoy life at the same time.





No comments:

Post a Comment