Saturday 3 October 2015

Interview with Jezz: the muscles from Digbeth!

In Digbeth where I work in Birmingham, along with being a buzz of creativity, it is also becoming the place to come and train. The gyms in Digbeth, such as CrossFit Digbeth, are a world away from rooms filled with treadmills and bikes. Instead it's all about focusing on training the body to move the way it is meant to through a mix of cardio, weight lifting, gymnastics and core training.

I got to know one of the lovely guys who trains down in Digbeth, Jezz Freeth, a university student in Birmingham and also a personal trainer. He comes into our cafĂ© at work, Fazeley Social, for a post-workout protein fix. Jezz has got a case of the fitness bug like me but Jezz is on a whole other level! He is even going to compete in Men's Physique 2016, for which he is now focusing on getting in the best shape possible along with a bit of fake tan!


I follow Jezz on Instagram, he inspires me to keep motivated and he also posts fantastic nutritional foodie shots that have really inspired me when I've struggled with knowing what I should eat following a workout.

So I thought I would interview Jezz to get some advice for all of my lovely followers, in case you have gotten bored of me rambling on about green juices and my sugar addiction...

Have you always been into health and fitness?

I was always active from a young age. Me and my older brother were into wrestling and admired people like Arnold Schwarzenegger for his physique. When I was 15 I got into cage fighting, which we had always been fans of. This really stepped it up for me being so physically demanding.

Me, my brother and my dad would train together and eating well was also always important at home.

How has going to the gym helped you?

Going to the gym has taught me the essentials in fitness and strength. At Athlete Box in Digbeth, I love that there are people of all ages and backgrounds working out together. I have different people I train with and then there are the classes which are good as you are not in control of what you are doing. You're less likely to give up and push your body further. Everyone is around you and you have to rise to the occasion.




You shouldn't be afraid of going to the gym, there is a place for everybody and everyone has different goals. Do what works for you and make sure to mix things up so your body doesn't get used to the workouts you do.

With all the hard work you put in at the gym, do you make sure you're putting the right food into your body?

When you eat a cleaner diet, you do notice a difference. It's like putting the right petrol into your car. I'm currently studying nutrition as part of my University course and do my own research as well. I follow what works best for me and the goals I want to achieve. It won't be the same for everybody!

I eat a lot of protein, to build muscle, and eat good carbs such as brown rice, quinoa and sweet potato. I don't believe in cutting any food group out of a diet. It's all required for a healthy body you just have to make sure it's balanced.  Add extra vegetables onto your plate alongside your chicken or steak rather than making it carb heavy. 


I work at the Juice Bar at the gym too and smoothies are a good boost for pre and post workouts at the gym. Add sweet fruit such as mango to sweeten the taste of the bitterness from the veg. And always make sure the ratio to fruit to veg is the same as too much fruit will spike your blood sugar level.




Do you follow 'rules' such as not eating after 7pm and working out in the morning rather than late at night?

I have a very fast metabolism so I can get away with eating late at night, I don't really follow the rules of when you should and shouldn't eat.


As for what time of day to exercise, you have to do what works for you to make sure your lifestyle change is sustainable. Exercise when you can and fit it into how you live your life.

You post these delicious photos of Protein Pancakes on Instagram, can you tell us your recipe?


These are a good way to start the day or to have after a workout as they keep you full for ages and are full of goodness.

Protein Pancakes:

One Banana
2 eggs
One cup of oats
Protein powder

Mix and blend the above ingredients together and cook as you would normal pancakes! You can ass honey, cinnamon and peanut butter to the mix too. Add some colourful berries too.




Can you give us one top on starting the day right?

I always start the day with a glass of water, you need to rehydrate after a nights sleep to get your body ready for the day!


2 comments:

  1. Here’s the complete page of Nutritionist personal trainer . It features all personal training questions and answers.
    Its really informative post. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats very useful Mansi! Just bought a treadmill and seriously burning calories! At this time you made me know more information!

    Regards,
    Trainer nutritionist near me

    ReplyDelete